Monday, April 4, 2011

Four Vintage Asian Puppets

Today I was frustrated with the traffic I just decided to pull over and walk into the nearest store before I blew my top. I found these 4 wooden head puppets for $10 each.


None of the mouths or eyes worked but I saw that the heads had a way to remove the back to get inside and see what was wrong. I knew it was a broken spring or something. Turns out a decrypted shriveled up rubber band had worn out over the years.



I got the rubber band replaced on one but didn't like the effect of the eyes moving with the mouth at the same time. So I screwed in new screws in order to get them isolated. One other problem seemed to occur, the mouth would not open, remain shut.

So I took a thick stick and put it up through the inside of the hollow stick that you hold and Whala his mouth worked. Now I just would like to get the eyes working independently with the string and maybe a spring?

Later I applied cartoon eyes over the unappealing painted ones... using the glue gun. Now I will just get some nice outfits made and at least one will be better than new.